What do your words actually mean?
As a professional motivational speaker, I’m always very conscious about my words and what they mean. I recently read the book Exactly What to Say by Phil M. Jones and absolutely loved it. Are you saying what you actually mean? Are there ways we can be more effective with our words? There was a ton of great info in the book, and for the #CJJblog this week, I wanted to give you a few powerful phrases and how it can help you be more influential with your words. Enjoy.
- How open-minded are you to…? Also, you could say “Would you be open minded to… Working together on this?”
- How would you feel if…? “Your competition past you?” or “You doubled your sales?”
- Just imagine… This is a great phrase to start a presentation with. Just imagine a world where your employees are 5x more efficient.”
- What questions do you have for me? This is great for the end of a presentation to start the Q&A portion, as opposed to the typical “Any questions?”
- When would be a good time to…? Set up a time to talk? Get on a phone call?
- There are two types of people… Those who resist change, and those who embrace change. Which one are you?
- If… Then… statements. “If you eat your vegetables, then you can have ice cream for dessert.”
- What makes you say that? This is a good sales tactic when faced with an objection. A very disarming way of asking a prospect to expand on their hesitation.
- If I can… Will you…? If I can match the price, will you move forward with us today?
- Just out of curiosity… What needs to happen for us to move forward?
- Can you do me a favor…? Is a great way to start a request.
Did You Know? Coach will be delivering his “Who’s Your J-Mac” virtual presentation on March 30th to a group of business leaders in Vancouver, Canada.
Life Tip #20: Learn to speak confidently in public – The questions above will help!