How are you building a championship team?
Championship teams don’t form overnight. It takes years of focus and dedication to get the most out of your squad. If you ever read about Coach K and his philosophy on building a championship team, you will likely read about his “fist” mentality. He explains that each of his five players are a finger and to have the greatest impact, each member of the team must come together to form a tightly closed fist. Unified in every aspect and working alongside one another for the same purpose. In this week’s #CJJblog I will give you my top 5 tips to creating a championship team. Enjoy.
- Understand your “why” team mission. What is your team all about? What do you hope to achieve together? Get feedback from your team and create a purpose for your team. This will help unify everyone’s thoughts toward one overlying goal.
- Have team goals. What are your team goals for this season? Unify them and develop these goals with the intension of getting everyone on the same page.
- Understand your players’ individual goals. What do your players hope to achieve individually? Make sure you ask them and set goals for them on an individual level. This will help develop a new level of trust, as they will appreciate your level of care for their personal goals.
- Have team/captain’s meetings. I hold my captain’s meetings on a weekly basis, which helps get the current vibe of the team. Your captain’s will stay alert and vigilant to what’s going on with the team as a whole and communicate that info onto you.
- Have an annual theme. What is the best theme for your current group of players? Having themes form year-to-year will help identify each team or graduating class. Create a slogan or phrase to repeat throughout the season.
Did You Know?: Coach Jim Johnson speaks to athletic teams as well as sales and business teams across the country.
“Every member of our sales team walked out of Coach’s speech ready to attack their challenges and overcome any obstacles they may encounter.”
-Dave Carvajal, VP, The ladders-
“Our sales team walked away with the message of Coach’s ‘6 Keys of Leadership.’ He truly achieved creating a transformational experience of the magic of passion, perseverance, and the power of teamwork.”
-Kent Walrack, President of Lyons Magnus-
Life Tip #83: Be a team Builder