What do your 2021 goals look like?
With the first month of 2021 nearly in the books, I wanted to take the opportunity to help you get refocused on your goals and resolutions that you may have set for yourself just a few short weeks ago. How are you ensuring your goals come to fruition? Are you already falling behind? The #CJJblog this week gives you ten tips on how you can stay on track this year.
- Understand your WHY. This is a great foundational place to start. What is your why? Have you put your personal mission statement into writing yet?
- Word of the year. Or a slogan. Does your year have a theme? Some suggestions may be “I am responsible,” or “I will rebound.”
- Your goals should not all be tied to the same topic. There are seven main categories you can focus on: Spiritual, Health, Financial, Family, Business, Social, and Hobby.
- Try not to just create a goal for the heck of it. Have a specific plan that’s personal, specific, measurable, challenging, and with a deadline. “I want to lose weight” can become “I am going to lose 15 pounds by June 15th.”
- Make your goals visible. You can do this in three easy steps: 1) Post your goals somewhere in your house, 2) Write them out on index cards and read them out loud twice daily, and 3) Start a goal journal where you document your journey.
- Phrase your goal as a question or challenge to yourself. For example, “How can I…?” or “What do I need to do to…?” Then, write down 20 different actions you can take to accomplish this goal.
- One BHAG. Do you have at least one Big, Hairy, Audacious Goal? For me, I am going to finish writing and publishing my second book by the end of the year. What is yours?
- For every goal comes obstacles preventing us from being successful. It is important to identify, write them down, and recognize them as they present themselves, so you can overcome them.
- Take at least one action every day toward accomplishing your goal. Write out what you will do, then do it!
- Do you have an accountability partner? Someone to hold you accountable for your actions? This can be an individual, a course, or even a motivational video that speaks to you.
Did You Know? Coach Jim Johnson delivers a goal setting workshop multiple times every year? You can reach out to him directly for more information via email at: JJhoops@rochester.rr.com
BONUS Life Tip: When people lose their way, they lose their why
BONUS Challenge: Start a positive habit tomorrow that you will do consistently for seven consecutive days