Are you prepared for everything?
Adversity can strike at any time, forcing us to make quick decisions that we may not be ready for. If we prepare for these uncertain situations, the greater chance we keep calm and make the right decision. After watching what happened with Serena Williams last weekend, I wanted to speak about dealing with adversity in the #CJJblog this week. How can you make the right decisions when times gets tough? Here are some tips for you. Enjoy.
- Champion mindset. Be the rock and keep calm. How do you do this? Keep a champion (long-term) mindset. When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
- Mental rehearsal. Prepare (not stress) your mind for anything and everything. Be ready to react to all possibilities. This will leave nothing that can surprise you. What do you do for mental adversity rehearsal?
- Preparation. For me, I was able to prepare my team for adversity through tough practices and simulated game situations. I saw value in making the practices tougher than the actual games. How do you prepare your team?
- Develop mantra. It is crucial that you develop a mantra that applies during tough times. For example, I like to recite to myself; “cancel, cancel, I can do it.” This allows me to clear my head and get in a positive mindset moving forward.
- Use as fuel. When adversity strikes, do you let it get you frustrated? Or, are you able to let it fuel you into success? Find a way to allow chaos to fuel your motivation.
- Deserve victory. The harder you work, the better chance you have at victory. Adversity can alter your path, but if you are working hard and doing the right things, your chances at victory will be maximized at all times.
Did You Know? Coach Jim Johnson is headed to Dallas, PA to deliver his Leadership keynote to over 500 student athletes and faculty at Misericordia College.
Life Tip #80: Set standards for yourself higher than anyone else would set for you