How strong is your team culture?
One of the most important things to monitor for your team is the culture. How do you go about keeping morale high? What is the mission for your team? Is everyone on board? It’s hard to argue that there is a more vital aspect of your locker room than the culture. With the Super Bowl upon us, greatness with the Patriots is hard to ignore. How do they do it? In the #CJJblog this week, I wanted to give you some tips on how to maintain the culture as you strive toward success. Enjoy.
- Create a mission. Do you have a team mission in place to unify your squad? There should always be a bigger cause than just simply winning. Get feedback and talk about this as a unit. What is your teams’ mission?
- Build trust. It takes time, but to develop a winning culture, there needs to be tremendous trust amongst all members of the team. While it can take awhile to gain trust, a single misstep can destroy everything you’ve built.
- Praise consistently. Criticism is necessary as well, but it’s important to stay consistent with your feedback. Always remember, what gets recognized gets repeated. How do you praise your team for greatness?
- Build accountability. Focus on developing everyone into a leader. Follow your leadership philosophy and remember you are always on stage. Without accountability, you cannot build a winning culture.
- Servant leadership. Develop a model where you preach your leaders to serve others. Always ask others “what are you working on?” And “How can I help you?”
Did You Know? Coach Jim Johnson is delivering his Leadership Keynote to a group of engineering students at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) in Rochester, NY on Friday, January 25th.
Life Tip #76: Treat others better than you want to be treated.