Is quality communication a top priority?
As a leader, communication with your team members may be overlooked. It can be easy to focus on other items, such as tactics, performance, or metrics. Interpersonal communication and developing trust with your team is far more important than any other coaching/leading characteristic. In the #CJJblog this week, I wanted to give you some tips on how you can communicate effectively with your team members. Enjoy.
- MBWA. Manage by walking around. Do you sit at your desk behind a computer screen? Or, do you walk around and get involved with your team? Be in the trenches as much as possible and try to get your hands dirty to establish trust.
- Listening. Do you listen to establish empathy or just to simply reply? Listening is a key skill in effective communication. Do your best to understand your team members and ask questions to follow up and give feedback whenever necessary.
- Asking the right questions. “What are you working on?” “How can I support you?” Those are examples of quality questions you can ask each day. Try and become an empathetic resource, as opposed to an intimidating force your team becomes scared of.
- Set expectations. Constantly set expectations during your communication. Let your team know what is expected of them, as well as what is expected of you. How do you set expectations?
- Open lines of communication. Do this consistently and always be an open book with your team. Welcome questions and feedback at all times. Are you always available?
- Build trust. During communication with your team, it is crucial that you always seek to build their trust. Ask employees how are you doing today? And keep a genuine interest in their well-being.
Did You Know? Coach Jim Johnson is delivering a leadership webinar lunch and learn on April 4th from Noon-1 pm EST. Here is the link to register and attend: https://coachjimjohnson.com/march-madness-webinar/ See you there!
Life Tip #53: Praise in public, criticize in private