Are you present during your conversations with others?
During 2019, I want to challenge you to focus on being more present. How can you display your presence to others? How can you avoid distractions? Being attentive is a skill that can be mastered. In the #CJJblog this week, I give you some tips on how you can focus on being more present in the new year. Enjoy.
- Eye contact. When you are speaking with someone, always focus on eye contact. Look them in the eyes as you speak as well as during your times of listening. Simple, yes, but eye contact goes a long way when establishing the sense of being present.
- Listen twice as much as you talk. Make a concerted effort to not talk over others and wait for your time to speak. Always remember, you have two ears and one mouth. How do you show others you are able and ready to listen?
- Ask penetrating questions. Ask questions that promote an additional clarification response. The quality of your follow up questions will display your level of interest. Three examples are: How do you mean? Tell me more. Give me an example.
- Greeting. Gauge the situation and greet others with a handshake, a smile, and a hug (when appropriate). Do you consistently greet others with a smile?
- Acts of kindness. One of the best ways to display your presence and care for others is to do something nice without any expectation of reciprocation. Pay someone’s toll at a toll booth or cover their meal at a restaurant. When was the last time you paid it forward?
Did You Know? Coach Jim Johnson will be delivering his Leadership and Motivational keynotes to the Aegis Science Corp in Nashville, TN on January 9th.
Life Tip #7: Treat each person you meet like a million dollar customer