Are they helping or hindering you?
The people we surround ourselves with can often dictate how we live our lives. Are those people affecting you in a positive or negative manner? I will paraphrase Jim Rohn by saying: we are the average of the 5 closest people we associate with. Are you attracting the right ones? In this week’s #CJJblog I want to give you 5 tips on how to surround yourself with the right people. Enjoy.
- Hiring. When hiring, look for people who compliment you and your current team well. What do they do well? What do you not do well? Do they fit in with your team’s culture?
- Same industry. One of the easiest ways to find like-minded people is to search within your industry. Research who the major players are and what makes them successful. Try to reach out to them and see if they are interested in a mentor-mentee relationship.
- Mastermind group. See if you can find some other like-minded people to meet on a consistent basis and share your passion for any given topic. This is called a mastermind group and can help expand your sphere of influence dramatically.
- Connect the right way. Be strategic in how you connect with others. Use LinkedIn, email, and the phone in a very casual way. Don’t be over-bearing and develop your relationship in a professional way.
- Let some people go. It’s a very touch topic, but there may come a time when some individuals in your immediate group who need to be let go. They may be growing in a different direction and are no longer helping you achieve greatness. It is imperative you identify these individuals and make the tough choice to let them go and move on. Is there someone currently in your life you need to let go?
Did You Know? Coach Jim Johnson spoke this past week to a leadership team at Foresters financial locally here in Rochester, NY.
Life Tip #26: Be comfortable and introduce yourself to those you don’t know