Is the 2019-20 LSU football team one of the greatest of all-time?
Now that the college football season is officially in the books, we can finally dissect the greatness that was Joe Burrow and the National Champion LSU Tigers. What did we learn from Coach O and the boys this year? How did they become a scoring machine after so many seasons of mediocrity on the offensive side of the ball? The #CJJblog this week digs a little deeper into the champs of college football and gives you some life lessons we learned from their record-breaking season. Enjoy.
- Coach O. Ed Orgeron was the right leader for the Tigers and for the state of Louisiana. He bounced back after his less than successful stints at Ole Miss and USC to become a champion. I believe Coach O was a perfect fit for LSU for three reasons: 1) His loyalty to the state, university, and players, 2) His focus on building relationships, and 3) His authentic leadership style.
- The Tigers were built on selflessness and a we over me attitude. Their culture promoted team first actions at all times and Coach O accepted nothing less.
- Coach O and Joe Burrow (Heisman trophy winning LSU quarterback) were the epitome of perseverance and the two main reasons for the Tigers’ success. Burrow transferred to Baton Rouge from Ohio State and after a very average first season in 2018, he had the greatest single season from a QB in collegiate history.
- Work ethic. Coach O instilled the willingness to go the extra mile with his players and staff. The performance on the field also thrived because everyone was bought in to one singular goal. Do you go the extra mile with your team?
- The coaching staff was a collection of individuals who complemented Coach Orgeron and his weaknesses. Passing Game Coordinator and WR coach, Joe Brady (Broyles Award winner for best college football assistant coach) was the most successful coaching hire as he was the mastermind behind Burrow and the wide receivers. The 30-year old brady has since been hired as the Offensive Coordinator for the Carolina Panthers in the NFL.
- Embrace the challenge. The Tigers won a record seven games this season against AP top-10 teams, winning one big game after another. They stepped up to the plate every time it was needed and were rewarded with a National Championship.
Did You Know? Coach Jim Johnson will be delivering his Inspirational Dreams Really Do Come True keynote to the Elmira School District support staff on January 27th and hosting a leadership breakout session immediately afterwards.
Life Tip #1: Make each day your masterpiece