How do you get inspired?
This week, I was extremely inspired spending the day with Bowie State Hall of Fame inductee, Rick Simmons. As a white man at a traditionally black college, Rick overcame adversity to excel at a high level in a non-traditional atmosphere. This got me to thinking how do I inspire myself? In this week’s #CJJblog I wanted to discuss inspiration and how we can inspire ourselves. Make sure you reach out to me with any tips or tricks I may have missed. Enjoy.
- Read about others. Autobiographies are great to inform yourself of other successful individuals paths to greatness. How do they overcome adversity to achieve greatness? How can you implement that inspiration into your life?
- Attend conferences and seminars. These events are a collection of top professionals in your field to inspire and teach you how to get to the top. Make sure you don’t just attend, but also embrace and interact those around you as well.
- Read inspirational quotes. There is no better way to get inspired than to find a quote that hits you in the heart. One of my favorites is from Gandhi: “Be the change you want to see in the world.” What are your favorites?
- Set a BHAG. A “Big Hairy Audacious Goal” is a great way to set your sights as high as possible. Do you want to become a millionaire? How about buy a house within the next calendar year? Write it down and get inspired.
- Go on YouTube. This is a great resource for video inspiration. You can subscribe and follow your favorite speakers to get inspired every morning. I often use YouTube videos to set the tone and get motivated for the day.
Did You Know? Coach Jim Johnson spent the day on Friday with the St. John Fisher Men’s basketball team and gave a talk on leadership to the squad after a practice.
Life Tip #80: Set standards higher for yourself than anybody else would set for you.
J-Mac and I with Bowie State Hall of Fame inductee, Rick Simmons.