How would you build a championship team?
When it comes to creating a winning formula, everyone has a different style. Some might focus on building interpersonal relationships with their team members, while others lead by example. When Tom Brady signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last offseason before the 2020-21 NFL season, he brought his championship DNA with him. Being a student of leadership for nearly four decades, I wanted to give you seven tips on how you can build a championship team in the #CJJblog this week. Enjoy.
- Clarify your vision. First, you need to understand both your vision, and the team vision. Tom Brady leads himself first, allowing everyone else around him to get on board.
- Build trust. You must gain clarity on how you can build trust. Brady is truthful and authentic, which allowed him to raise up his teammates. The night before the Super Bowl last week, The GOAT sent out a mass text to each of his teammates saying simply “We will win.”
- Create an edge. Are you clear on your goals? Brady always puts the team goals first. He is willing to be coached and continue to grow his game. Are you?
- Effective communication. Brady also reached out to his teammates last summer after his signing. He always wants the best for the team and is willing to listen and take feedback. When was the last time you listened to feedback from one of your team members?
- Lead by example. Are you a hard worker and always do the right thing? With Tom Brady, nobody can ever question his level of preparation and work ethic.
- Leave a profit. Brady buys into the system and he improves everything he touches. That includes the system, teammates, and the results.
- Servant leadership. Brady consistently raises up his teammates. A perfect example is Rob Gronkowski, whom he lured out of retirement for another Super Bowl ring. A perfect example of servant leadership is how Brady treated another teammate, Antonio Brown, when he allowed Brown to live with him and his family the first few months after his signing back in the fall.
Did You Know? Coach Jim Johnson is gathering data from young, emerging leaders for his second book, “Blueprint to Timeless Leadership,” which he hopes to have published in 2021. Please take a few minutes to fill out this QUESTIONNAIRE to be a part of his journey.
Life Tip #24: Study and implement leadership skills