Are you a great leader?
As we go through life, there will be things we struggle with, things we are good at, and things we are great at. The key is to find the things we are great at and make a living out of it. When I started my basketball coaching career, I was a good coach. Through the years and experience, I became great and the records show that. After winning six Sectional titles (8 finals appearances) in my final 11 years, I got to thinking about what changed. This week’s #CJJblog I give you some tips on how to become a great leader. Enjoy.
- Lived my mission. Something changed inside me to stop only preaching my life mission, but to actually start living it as well. Practicing what you preach can go a long way in showing your team you care about them. What’s your life mission?
- Built trust. I started to become great once I focused on building interpersonal relationships with my team and coaches. I began to ask for feedback and listened to what they had to say as opposed to running a one man show.
- Delegation. The key to becoming a great coach is focusing on what you’re good at. The things you’re not? Find others who are and delegate those tasks appropriately. Utilize others’ strengths so that the team, as a whole, is adequately prepared. How do you delegate tasks?
- Positivity. I also started to deliver more positive reinforcement and went away with public criticism when mistakes were made. How do you display positivity?
- Flexibility. Each year, the team would be different and have new strengths. It was my job as the coach to put us in the best position to be great. Once I became more adaptable with how the team was run, greatness followed.
- Improving myself. I began to grow my mind and improve how I developed myself. My team deserved the best version of myself and I soon realized success depended upon it as well.
- Reach out to others. No matter your field, there are experts out there who have been successful. Reach out to others and ask for advice. It will expedite your growth curve tremendously.
Did You Know? Coach Jim Johnson will be serving on the Global Leadership Summit Committee livestream on August 9th and 10th. You can check it out at www.rochesterwins.com
Life Tip #63: Ask yourself this question often: “What is the best use of my time right now?”