Is your entire team on the same page?
Can you win a championship with a dysfunctional team? How important is chemistry among the entire team? If you follow NBA basketball, you are familiar with the train wreck that was the 2021-2022 Los Angeles Lakers season. Despite having three of the best (and highest paid) player in the league, they failed to even make the playoffs. In the #CJJblog this week, I give you seven points on team chemistry and how is affected the Lakers this year. Enjoy.
- Talent. Do you have talent, or do you have the right talent? You must combine talent with: 1) Passion, 2) Work Ethic, and 3) “We over me” attitude.
- Roles. The Lakers had too many players without roles. No defensive stoppers, no three-point specialists, and the stars (LeBron, Davis, and Westbrook) were often operating outside of their strengths. Does each member on your team know their role?
- Niche roles. Do your players understand and embrace their roles for the team? How specific do you get when discussing their roles? The Lakers lost some key players who had niche roles (ex: Alex Caruso) and it showed.
- Identity. What does your team stand for? What are your main core values? Without an identity, a team will become very disjointed. The Lakers had no identity this season and it led to their omission from the playoffs.
- Addition by subtraction. Do you have the right players on your team? Sometimes it may be necessary to look at letting someone go who doesn’t fit. Looking at you, Russell Westbrook.
- High standards. Are you and your team content with mediocrity? The Lakers played without pride and the lack off effort followed. Run your team with high standards, get commitment from everyone, and hold each other accountable.
- Consistency. Build on your progress (big or small) each day. Do your team goals align with the individual goals of your team members?
Did You Know? Coach Jim Johnson will be sharing his Leadership Keynote speech with Revolution Mortgage, in the Columbus, OH area on April 20th.
Life Tip #28: When people think of a person of impeccable integrity, they think of you.