Can you handle the pressure?
March Madness is here and it got me thinking about how to handle pressure. No matter what our day-to-day life consists of, we all deal with some form of pressure. What are the best ways to deal with it? How can we harness this pressure and use it for positive benefits? I have compiled some tips on how to deal with the most pressure-filled situations and come out on top. Make sure you let me know your thoughts and strategies as well. Enjoy!
- Embrace it. When you start to feel that nervous emotion stemming from external pressure forces, convince yourself that you are, in fact, excited. It’s a positive spin on the internal emotions we experience.
- Model the behavior. Your team will learn from you and your behaviors. Try and stay cool in front of them even in the most tense situations. Think Greg Popovich and Bill Belichick.
- Prepare, prepare, prepare. You cannot overprepare. Be confident as the team leader and your team will follow suit.
- Stick to what you know. Stay basic if you have to, but never deviate from what you have prepared or studied. Stay within yourself.
- What do you see yourself accomplishing? How does it feel? Visualize your successes before they happen.
Did You Know? Coach Jim Johnson delivered his leadership keynote in font of students and faculty at SUNY Brockport recently. His 2017 is filling up, so reach out if you would like him to speak to your team!
Life Tip #77: Six days of labor, one day of rest